Byflist

A blog of lists. Who doesn't like a list?

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Minnesotaisms

In celebration of my upcoming trip to my beloved Twin Cities, for the rest of the week I am offering the "Lists of 10,000 Lakes." Please enjoy this list of Minnesota terms and their English translations. I probably could have come up with one on my own, but it would have been about the same thing, anyway. So, a thank-you to Barbara DeGroot and Jack El-Hai, authors of "An Insider's Guide to the Twin Cities." (Though I did add a couple of my own observations.)


  • Dale (suf.): Shopping center (e.g., the Quarry Shopping Center on Dzeidzic Avenue is informally known as "Dzeidzicdale.")

  • That's interesting: That's stupid

  • Cool: Freezing

  • Hot dish: Casserole

  • Rusty bucket: Rusty car

  • Ish: Yuck

  • Rubber binder: Rubber band

  • Salad: Jell-O

  • Scandahoovian: Scandinavian

  • Uff da: Oy vey

  • Outstate: Within Minnesota, but outside the Twin Cities area (Some outstaters prefer "Greater Minnesota.")

  • Sliding: Sledding

  • Real good: That's fine

  • Duck, duck, gray duck: Duck, duck, goose (I am not making this up. Minnesotans insist they are right and everyone else is wrong.)
  • 3 Comments:

    • At 11:31 AM, Blogger Penultimatina said…

      Byf, when you first moved to Minnesoota did anyone think you were a native? Because I've been mistaken for a Minnesootan many times, and this has always puzzled me, though perhaps it the hybrid of Michigan and south side Chicago accents at work in my particular linguistic case...

       
    • At 1:17 PM, Blogger Byf said…

      I think the accents are close enough that people didn't really think to question where I was from. Plus, the accent in the Twin Cities isn't nearly as strong as in, say, Bemidji.

       
    • At 9:21 PM, Blogger Frank said…

      "Duck, duck, gray duck." Pure gold, man.

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home